Thursday, October 22, 2015

30+ days without a kitchen: The wrap up



It's been awhile I know. 
My last post I was updating everyone on my new kitchen adventures or lack of a new kitchen adventures. I had decided to challenge myself to living without a kitchen for 30 days since well I didn't have one due to some setbacks in the remodeling process we had undertaken.

Well it turned out to be a bit of a failure.

The 30 days without a kitchen dragged out to 110 days. 
Ugh!
3 weeks into the first 30 days we became aware of another setback that extended the 30 days to 90 and I became discouraged (cabinets did not come in and when they did they were not the right ones). At one point I didn't think it was ever going to be finished. I was so discussed I didn't even want to go into the empty shell that was once a kitchen.

But Hazzah!

It is finally done!

Here are some pictures I took along the way.

The truck finally arrives.
YAY!!!!!

Boxes of cabinets

Cabinets going up



Pantry cabinets going in

Pantry cabinets

Another look at the pantry

another picture on the cabinets

The floor was refinished

All up, just waiting for the crown moldings

Countertops are in

Countertops in, aren't they pretty?

Appliances are back in.

All done.

Pantry finished

What I learned
  • do not put anything into the hands of strangers 
  • I now know where my limit is (30 days is all I can take)
  • I need to come up with a menu plan for no kitchen cooking
  • I have to work on my skills of cooking without a kitchen
  • I need to come up with a better alternate washing area
and
  • Crockpot liners are my new best friend


The first few weeks I was eager and excited to try new dishes and adapt our favorites to different cooking methods. We were loving our grill for a while but that got old after about a month.
I don't know how those women that lived on their crockpots for months did it. I enjoyed finding things to make in my crockpot but hated cleaning it without a sink.
Again crockpot liners are my new best friend!
I think the hardest part of the whole ordeal for me was not having an adequate space to prepare and can or freeze all the veggies/fruits coming out of the garden.
I missed out on strawberry season this year as well as a lot of veggies but mostly strawberries(my favorite). 
I am really sad I missed out on strawberry season.

But in the end 

I got my beautiful new kitchen!


Isn't it lovely?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment