Thursday, July 16, 2015

What to do when your dog encounters a skunk


While at work last night I got a call from my hubs. In a panicked voice I hear "I think Sam got sprayed by a skunk". In the background I can hear the dog shaking his head and fussing. So I ask "where is he" to which he say's "on the bed".

Ugh!!

So I left work and headed to the store.

What do you do when your dog encounters a skunk?

Move out of your house and leave your dog behind!
Nooo just kidding.


First of all DON'T PANIC!

If the dog is still outside keep them outside and get them away from the area where they got sprayed. Check to make sure it did not get in their eyes, if it did flush with water and monitor. If their eyes become irritated call your vet for medical attention.

Ok now heres where it gets fun. If you have somewhere outside to do this DO THIS OUTSIDE, if not get the dog into your tub without contaminating the rest of your house. I know, easier said than done but trust me, try!

There are a few different remedies that people swear by, I will share the ones I've tried.

Tomato juice.

pour tomato sauce all over your dog, rub it in and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse it off when the skunk smell dissipates.
(This one did not work for me)
I did however get the urge to make pasta

Listerine.


Pour listerine all over your dog and let it sit 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse it off when the skunk smell dissipates.
(also did not work for me)

So one of my coworkers told me to try, 

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, 1 tsp liquid dish soap.

Mix together in a bowl and bathe your dog with it. 
Keep it out of your dogs eyes, It will burn if it gets in their eye.

Let it sit 10 minutes and rinse out. 

Repeat as needed.

Then wash them with regular dog soap.
(This worked best for me)

Now if I can only get my house to smell better!

Happy homesteading!

No comments:

Post a Comment