Friday, December 12, 2014

Making butter in a food processor

In my quest to make more things homemade I decided to try to make butter. its easy and quick and has only 2 ingredients.



Heavy cream and salt. I think I can handle that.
I don't have access to a cow or a farmer with a cow so I had to buy some from the store.


There are a few ways to do this, you can put the heavy cream in a large canning jar and shake it until it turns to butter if you want. I decided (great lesson for the kids) I wanted something a little easier. 
I put the cream and salt ( 1tsp per pint of heavy cream) in my food processor, set it on low and let it go.


at some point it will look like whipped cream. if I had used sugar in stead of salt it would be whipped cream but since I put salt in it it will not taste good at all at this point.


let it go a little longer about 5 minute and the butter will separate from the buttermilk.


drain off the buttermilk and scoop out the butter. I patted it between 2 towels to get the rest of the buttermilk out of it.

and voila!
Butter!
You can use it at this point or wash it, to wash it all you do is put it back in the food processor with some cold water and blend it again for a minute or two and drain.

now just put in a container and put it in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment