Thursday, September 4, 2014

Sweet Pepper Relish

My peppers are getting big and a few of them have turned red. It's time to make some pepper relish. This is a new adventure for me so we'll see how it turns out.

So here is what I did.

I chopped up 12 peppers and 1 large sweet onion.
Put them in a large sauce pot, added 1Tbsp pickling salt and 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar.
Start the pot on simmer and add 1 1/2 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp mustard seed.
Bring pot to a simmer and cook down by half.

Then I ladled the mixture into the hot sterilized jars( I used half pints because I wanted small batches. I don't want any to go to waste once opened), tightened the lids and rings on finger tight and processed the jars in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.


Take them out when done and let them cool on a towel covered counter. Don't forget to listen for the "ping".

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment