Monday, August 25, 2014

Canning Tomato Sauce

I feel like the summer should not be ending yet. I'm not ready for it to go. With all the rain we have been having here it feels like summer never started but here we are and it's time to harvest. My tomatoes are ripening by the boat load.
So today I made and canned some sauce.

How I make my sauce

After I pick my tomatoes I have to remove the skins.

To do this I boil a large pot of water on the stove and blanch the tomatoes.


Only do this long enough for the skins to loosen.


Then put them in a bowl of ice water to cool them. Take them out and peel off the skins. They should slide right off. 





Once your done with that your ready to make your sauce.















Now on to the sauce.




Put the tomatoes on a large pot and smash them with a potato masher.
You can remove the seeds before you put them in the pot or wait until after it cooks down. I did mine after and ran the sauce through a food mill.

Let tomatoes cook down for about an hour. No need to add any water, tomatoes have enough of their own.



Once the sauce is cooked down its time to can it. 




Sterilize your jars and lids, pour your sauce in the jars leaving 1/4 inch of head space ( I used pint jars because it's just my Hubs and I and I don't want any to go to waste) add 1/4 tsp of citric acid to each pint jar (1/2 tsp for quart jars) remove the bubbles with a non-metallic knife and put the lids on hand tight.
I pressure can mine in a pressure canner at 10 lbs of pressure for 15 minutes. Following my pressure canner directions. You should follow your pressure canners directions as they are all different. Or you can can them using a water bath canner by bringing to a rolling boil. 35 minutes for pints and 40 minutes for quarts.

Remove to a towel on the counter until cool and the lids have "pinged", and your all done.
As you can see I only had enough for 2 pints and 1 half pint. I lost half of my sauce do to a mishap during the cooking down. 

I hate flies!! I really hate flies!!
While I was cooking down my tomatoes I discovered a fly in my kitchen. I panicked! So I put a lid half on the pot of tomatoes to prevent a possible fly invasion and went about chasing said fly. As you may know flies are hard to catch so it took a while and I forgot about the sauce. Well it boiled over and I lost about half of it all over my stove( no pictures, I was too embarrassed to take them)! I did however get the fly so I feel vindicated! 

Happy canning!


No comments:

Post a Comment