Thursday, August 7, 2014

Another Rainy Day on the Homestead: Freezing Zucchini

Freezing shredded Zucchini 


It has been a very rainy season for us here. Today is another one of those day. I'm torn about how I feel about this. I love that Mother Nature is watering my gardens for me but sad that I have yet to build my rain barrel, I like that days like today I don't have to feel bad about being inside when I know that there are only so many summer days and winter will be here soon enought but I am sick about all the projects that still need to be done before said winter.

 So here I am working on my list of indoor to do's. One of my " to do's" is to shred and freeze some zucchini. 


I have 2 large zucchini like this one. I don't normally let them grow this big but these ones went forgotten for a little while and got to big. I like to fry zucchini but when they get to big for that I will shred them and make zucchini bread or freeze it for later. Since I happen to be out of eggs I'm going to freeze them today.

I get out my handy dandy shredder. I know what your thinking " that's way to small for this job".
 Yes it is!
But since I have put my large one in a safe place that I can't find, this one will have to do.

Cut off the ends of the zucchini..

It wasn't until after this step that I realized if I had left one end on I could use the end to hold the zucchini while I was shredding it and not end up shredding my fingers when it got down to the tiny little nugget. You know the one that you can't shred but don't want to waste so you mangle your finger to get every last bit.

Anyway, shred the zucchini.

This is what it looks like when I'm done. Yes I'm a messy shredder. I managed to get shredded zucchini everywhere.


I then put them in food saver bags, 2 cups each and put them in the freezer. After about an hour I take them out and seal them. If you try to seal them before freezing them they will not seal properly. 

Don't forget to label them and put a date on them.

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment