Sunday, July 13, 2014

Wild Black Raspberries



Wild raspberries are much smaller and seedier than cultivated varieties. They tend to be a bit more tart but make really tasty jam. 

They can be found at the edge of most fields, along the side of the road and wooded bike paths. I am lucky enough to have wild black raspberries growing at the very back of my property. I anxiously wait for them to ripen every summer. I love when Mother Nature provides me with free food especially when it's so tasty.

My patch just started to ripen and should continue to ripen for the next 2 to 3 weeks. I like to go out and pick them every few days and pick a few at a time. The birds and chipmunks love them as much as I do so I only pick half of what ripens and leave some for the critters. I figure Mother Nature planted them for all of us so sharing them is the least I could do.

If you are lucky enough to find yourself with a patch of these and want to pick them I would suggest wearing thick gloves with long cuffs, they have tons of thorns.  Once you have picked a batch you will want to wash them. They can sometimes have little ants hitch a ride during picking.

I put them in a white bowl so I can see if any little buggers came in with them.

I then run them under some water and gently swish them around to dislodge any hitchhikers and pour the water off. If I find anything I will rinse them again just to be sure I got them all. They then go into a freezer bag and into the freezer. I will add to them as I pick them until I have enough to make jam.

Happy picking everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment