Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Blanching and Freezing Broccoli



Broccoli is high in dietary fiber and vitamin C (something most people do not know); it provides a modest amount of beta-carotene which helps keep your vitamin D metabolism in balance. It also contains several nutrients with potent anti-cancer properties. 1 cup contains only 55 calorie.



With all that it can do for you it is a vegetable that is a must for the homestead garden. It is one of my favorites. 



My hubs does not like it so I only have enough of it for myself and I choose to blanch it and freeze it as opposed to canning it. Boiling broccoli (something the canning process does) reduces the levels of anti-carcinogenic compounds and leaches some of the vitamins so for this reason broccoli should be steamed or blanched if possible.



 Heat a large pot of water to a boil.  




In a large bowl, fill with half ice and water.

Cut up the broccoli while you wait for the water to boil. 

 Carefully, add in vegetables and cook for 1 minute, only until they’re slightly cooked through and tender.

Then scoop out vegetables quickly and immediately move to the ice bath.

Keep the vegetables in the ice bath just until they’ve cooled, about 20 to 30 seconds.

  Remove vegetables, drain in a colander, and spoon into freezer bags. I like to use my vacuum sealer so I spoon them into prepared vacuum bags.


I don’t seal them right away (the picture above is not frozen yet. I wanted to get the picture taken before I had to go to work but trust me I froze them first. You will not be able to seal them properly if they are still wet).
 I put the open bags in the freezer for about an hour. I then seal them after they are frozen. If you try to seal them before freezing the water left in the bags from blanching will prevent the bags from sealing properly.  

I then label them and put them back in the freezer.


That's it.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing on Green Thumb Thursday! I wish my broccoli performed well enough this year to need to preserve it! This will be great to know for next year when I get my act together. We hope you'll join us this week at the hop http://homesteadlady.com/green-thumb-thursday-73114/

    ReplyDelete