Thursday, June 26, 2014

DIY Tanglefoot Bug Catchers for the Garden

So the other day I showed you how to make bug catchers from yellow paper and a sugary substance. I was using them to try to catch cucumber beetle in my garden.
I'm here to tell you they did not work!
 The sticky stuff dried right up and was not sticky anymore. The ants just loved them though.

I found a product that I'm told will work better.
This stuff is very sticky and does not wash off well with water and does not dry out.

You will need some yellow cups. I could not find plastic ones so I got paper ones from Walmart for 97cents. I'm sure they will get ruined when it rains but for the price I'm ok with that. I'll just make more.

 Make sure you punch holes in them before spreading Tanglefoot on them or you will have a mess to deal with.

Put on some disposable gloves to keep your hands clean. I did not do this step and regret it! Trust me this is an important step!
Now spread a thin layer of tanglefoot on the outside of the cup.

Next poke a stick into the hole you made (I used ones I found lying around my yard) and stick them in the ground in and around your plants.

And that's all there is to it.

Oh look! I already got one!
It looks like I've got a little bit of weeding to do. Don't look at the weeds in the background thanks.




3 comments:

  1. Does this stuff wash off when it rains? Will I need to re-apply it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rained here last night and did not wash off. I would suggest using plastic cups because the paper ones may not last long. Mine did make it through the rain last night but may not make it through another one.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this one, too, on Green Thumb Thursday. It never occurred to me to make my own sticky traps - very cool! http://homesteadlady.com/green-thumb-thursday-73114/

    ReplyDelete