Sunday, June 22, 2014

DIY Bug Catchers for the Veggie Beds

It's that time of the planting year when I have cucumber beetles eating my garden. These little buggers just love to destroy my cucumbers, zucchini and watermelon. I have been looking for a way to get rid of them and came across a post for homemade bug catcher strips ( the sticky kind). So I'm going to see if they work for catching cucumber beetles.

What you will need.

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey or corn syrup
2 Tbsp water
Yellow strips of paper
String

First cut your paper into strips ( I decided to use yellow paint chips I picked up at the hardware store) and punch a hole in them for hanging

Add string to them for hanging.

Mix the sugar, corn syrup and water together in a sauce pan over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the sugar mix into a shallow bowl and dredge the strips until covered on both sides. Next hang them to dry.
They will drip a bit so place something under them or your counter will be very sticky.


See the drop on the bottom. Very sticky!
I made some without the string to lay on the ground around my plants to catch the beetles that try to burrow into the soil around the base of my plants.

There you have it.
I'll let you know how it works.


No comments:

Post a Comment