Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Building a compost bin with recycled plastic shutters

I (now when I say " I" I mean my hubby) built this a few weeks ago when I started cleaning up the yard and needed a place to contain the yard waste.  I had these vinyl shutters laying around from when we resided the house and decided they would work great for this project. I measure the shutters and decided 2 per side would be perfect. 

What you will need:

-6 vinyl shutters
-4- 2x4's 8 ft long, each cut into 3, 30 inch pieces ( I know what your thinking, why didn't I use 3-
2x4x10, yes I know a 2x4x10 cut in 4 equal pieces is 4- 30 inch boards. But 4 8fts are cheaper than 3 10 ft boards)
-Box of deck screws (3inch long)

Screw 4 30 inch pieces together to make a square.



Then screw 1 of the 30inch pieces into each corner of the square so it looks like a box without a top.


Now screw 3 of the remaining 30 inch pieces together to make a U shape and screw that onto the top of "the box".



It should look like a box frame with one side missing on the top.

Now screw 2 shutters to each side so they are standing on end, side by side.
Make sure the slots are pointing up so the compost does not fall out when the bin is filled.



And there you have it.


 I made 2 of them and put them side by side. I guess I could have built one that was 2 bins connected but I didn't think I was going to need 2 until I got the first one filled.
Total cost: -2x4's 10.28
                                -box of screws $2.99
                   -shutters free
= $13.27









1 comment:

  1. What a great way to use old shutters! I think I'm going to try this. I might paint mine green or brown. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete