Friday, May 30, 2014

A Welcoming Walk Around My Mini Homestead


As I said in my welcoming post My husband and I own a home on a half acre. We bought it about 10 years ago, it was in wonderful condition with a nice green lawn and a few trees. The past owners were not much into landscaping so it was pretty much a blank canvas. I was so happy I started planting flowers and my mom bought me one of those strawberry tower that I put together and had strawberry plants in it in no time. Then well I started to enjoy the city life and forgot about my little flower garden and my strawberry bed.

About a year ago I had a life threatening medical scare that got me thinking that I needed to stop and smell the roses. Literally! My life was going by so fast and I needed to slow down and enjoy it. I looked back to when I enjoyed thing the most and remembered growing up in the country digging in the dirt, planting things and being so satisfied when the tiny little seeds would grow up into big pretty flowers and the yummy veggies that would not make it out of the garden without being eaten.

Here are some pictures of what it all looks like now.


My poor little strawberry bed! It's been so neglected. And well there are some more pictures of things that got neglected.
The flower bed. Yup, that's a bed full of weeds with a few flowers. 
Ok so let's take a look at a few other pictures

This is of the very back of the property. It slopes quite drastically in the back, with no way to get a mower down there to keep it neat. That wooden box you see is from a tree that was planted there that no longer exists. I think I'm going to move that and use it for another strawberry bed.

 My compost area, I just made those bins to help with my cleanup. I'll tell you all about that in another post. Compost is a great way to use your green waste and clean up debris.

My veggie garden area. What a mess! I have a few plants in it right now but it can really use some work. 

And finally a view of the whole mess from my patio. Well these are the before pictures, not the greatest. Nothing I am proud of for sure but hopefully soon I will have some great after pictures.















No comments:

Post a Comment